Recruiters are great at recruiting for Clients but when it comes to recruiting for their own Recruitment Agency business, it can be a very difficult task. With the exception of the cream within the industry, you will note on any recruiter’s CV that there has been a lot of movement, usually from sales into recruitment and back out again. The frequency of recruiter attrition will depend on the extent of the targets set by the agency and of course upon the success or otherwise of the recruiter.
Being a Recruiter requires all of the following Skills & Attributes in various measure:-
- Excellent Communicator, spoken and written
- Supreme Patience – no pint is getting tetchy with your audience
- Non-Bullying Capability – no long term gain in badgering clients and candidates
- Great Listener – understanding the requirements of clients and candidates
- Skills of Gentle Persuasion – as it says on the tin
- Multi-Tasking Capability – ability to simultaneously juggle many balls
- Brilliant IT Skills – you have to be very comfortable with systems
- High Intelligence – there is a massive amount of information to be absorbed and precessed
- Do What You Say - Say What You Do
- Deliver On Your Promises – don’t let people down – they are depending on you
- Total Honesty – sometimes you have to be brutal
The Agony of being a Recruiter is that you are dealing with a moving variable in the Human Being, the Candidate who is capable of telling you lies, going behind your back, saying one thing and doing another, pretending they want X but when the offer comes in they want X++ and their incredible ability to treat you like a doormat. On the Client side, the agony can be compounded by lack of feedback in response to brilliant CV’s, procrastination, haggling over previously agreed fees and not getting paid….
The Ecstasy of being a Recruiter is the joy of placing people in rewarding jobs, getting a Thank You from the grateful candidate, getting a Well Done from the Client, getting a LinkedIn recommendation, getting a Facebook Like and finally earning all of that commission.
Finding all of these qualities in one person is the holy grail for Recruitment Agencies. The contradiction arises between delivering excellence and the need to meet targets and earn commission. Being a Recruiter can be a hugely rewarding career and is a career well worth considering as long as you are confident that you can deliver on the various Sills & Attributes outlined above.